- Market and place adoptable Thoroughbred ex-racehorses by:
- Showcasing OTTBs ready for new homes using proven marketing techniques
- Screening applicants and reviewing references
- Matching OTTBs to the most appropriate potential owners/riders
- Negotiating adoption fees/donations
- Provide ongoing support to new owners and follow up on OTTBs placed in adoptive homes
We take our adoption process very seriously and work hard to ensure that each horse’s adoption is successful and lasting. Our process is based on many years of research, experience and intuition.
Our Adoption Process will explain what you can expect as a potential adopter. Please read this thoroughly BEFORE inquiring about any horses or submitting an adoption application. Our process is designed to provide you with the information you need to be prepared and approved for an OTTB from AFTER the Track.
1. Submit an Adoption Application
Please complete the application thoroughly. Before an adoption is approved, the adoption application must be submitted with your $25 tax-deductible, application fee.Download an Adoption Application
Any unanswered questions will require us to contact you and will slow down the process. Up to five references are required:
- Your veterinarian
- Your riding instructor
- Two (2) personal references
- The barn manager (if horse will be stabled at a boarding facility)
These references are mandatory components of the adoption application. We cannot complete our process until we contact each of them, so please let each of your references know we will be contacting them via phone or email. The sooner we reach them, the sooner we can notify you.
2. Speak with our team to find the right fit for you, and come visit!
Once your application is approved, we will contact you to schedule an appointment for you to visit the farm, meet our horses, and meet our staff. Please feel free to bring your trainer, video camera, friends, family and others to help you.
We are looking for the perfect, lasting home for our horses, and we are very thoughtful in this process. Ginny can help you figure out if any of our horses are the right fit, and you will get the chance to ride and work with your potential new partner.
3. Complete the Adoption Contract and Pay Adoption Fee
Once we’ve decided on a match and you plan to adopt a horse from AFTER the Track, we will:
- Provide your OTTB’s AFTER the Track Portfolio
- Assist you in arranging for a pre-purchase veterinary examination, if desired, at your expense.
- Review and sign our Adoption Agreement
- Collect the Adoption Fee: Adoption fees are determined individually for each horse. Your fee is considered a tax-deductible donation to AFTER the Track and is not refundable.
- Make a Transition Plan for your new OTTB
Your adoption fee entitles you to 2 lessons on your new Thoroughbred before leaving the farm. We will do our best to ensure you and your Thoroughbred are ready to go home together
Additional lessons, training, support and resources will continue to be available from AFTER the Track for additional fees. We will be glad to design an action plan to support you and your new OTTB once you leave our farm.
4. Arrange Transportation for your OTTB
Once an Adoption Contract is signed, the Adopter is expected to arrange for transporting the horse to its new home. We can recommend a list of reliable shipping options if desired. Should it take more than 2 weeks to collect the horse, boarding fees will apply.
5. Enjoy Your New OTTB and Keep in Touch!
Adopters are required to send three written updates with photos during the first year, and annual updates every year thereafter. This helps AFTER the Track maintain longitudinal records on the outcomes of our endeavors to determine whether our mission and goals are being attained.
Please send us your stories and pictures in addition to the required updates. We look forward to hearing about your experiences. And let us know what we are doing well and how we can improve our services.
If you have any questions about our Adoption Process, please contact us.